This week I have failed. I never thought it would be so hard to cut meat out of my life but it is! Last week was good but then I got sick! I wanted things like chicken noodle soup or congee which is like a rice soup that has a chicken base to it. Because I was sick I didn't want to eat anything that seemed heavy to me so I decided to go with congee. I didn't want anything else so I had to break it. But that was the only time I did. Other than that I was eating waffles, rice, and eggs. This was also the first weekend of my project and maybe you recall I have not cut meat out of my diet on the weekends. I didn't realize this until midway through Saturday but then I happily indulged myself in carne asada fries. When I was eating it I felt bad because I really questioned things like "where did this come from" and "am I actually achieving the point of this project if I'm not cutting meat out all the way?" But this won't change me eating meat on the weekend it's just making me question more things. I know that with the next few weeks I will face similar challenges but I just need to find a way to preserve through them and of course I will have some fallbacks but I will just need to bounce back!
So my family mainly goes to Safeway to get our meats and I decided to go more in depth about where their meat comes from. Specifically their beef because that's what we normally get. So I looked it up and Safeway(1) specifically stated that they got it from a farm called Aspen Ridge. I personally have never heard of this place so I looked it up and found out that it is nowhere local! I went to their personal website(2) and I personally couldn't find on their page anywhere where it stated where they are located but at the bottom it gives a zip code that I went to google looked up the area code and found out Aspen Ridge Natural Beef is located in Colorado! Knowing this I went to google and typed in "How much gas would I need to drive from Washington to Colorado" they couldn't give me a straight answer so I went to AAA (3) and put in the car that my family drives because that was just the easiest for me. So according to their website(3) with all of my input about my car it would take 45.19 gallons of gas to get from here to there! Imagine how much gas it would be to drive a semi truck! When looking up how much CO2 is released I found that with 1 gallon of gas (which averagely weighs 6.3 pounds) releases 20 pounds of CO2(4)! So in my family Subaru to get to Colorado we would be releasing 284.69700 pounds of CO2. Once again imagine how much a truck would release! Imagine how many trucks full of beef is needed to be shipped for the number of people that there are that buy beef from Safeway. If people were to know this they would hopefully change where they get their beef from. I defiantly will be informing my mom about this fact. What's even crazier is that that's not the only CO2 that is being released in the process of getting our beef here! We all know the animals (including yourself) fart. According to PennState Extention(5) 20% of the methane in the world is released by cows!
1.) “Beef.” Safeway, www.safeway.ca/whats-in-store/meat-and-seafood/beef
2.) “Home.” Aspen Ridge Beef, aspenridgebeef.com/.
3.) “AAA GAS COST CALCULATOR.” AAA Gas Prices, gasprices.aaa.com/aaa-gas-cost-calculator/.
4.) Fuel Economy, www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/contentIncludes/co2_inc.htm.
5.) https://extension.psu.edu/carbon-methane-emissions-and-the-dairy-cow
I have to disagree with this, as I simply cannot comprehend giving up a burger. Burgers are something handed down from the heavens from G-d himself and should be eaten with passion not abstained from. Best of luck
ReplyDeleteThank you Elias
Deletehey cece look you got this and it going to be hard to cut something out of you're diet if you have been eating it your whole life. another way that you could do it though instead of trying to cut it out completely is by taking a day or a meal where you dont eat meat something that helps your body adjust to cutting it out however if you do successfully cut out meat and want to eat meat again you have to eat smaller portions of meat because you'll start feeling sick
ReplyDeleteI agree with your perspective on eating meats after not eating them for a while. I always find myself wondering where it came from as well and asking myself if the animal had a happy life. I really enjoyed hearing about your opinions on the same thing! :)
ReplyDelete